Chloë Sevigny (info)

. info _   
 
Chloë Sevigny
Known in the mid to late nineties for her status as a fashion impresario and "it girl," with over a dozen art house films to her credit, Chloe Sevigny also stands out as one of the most prominent queens of contemporary independent cinema. Originally hailing from Darien, Connecticut, Sevigny attributes weekend trips into nearby New York City in her teens as an important early saving grace from her super rich and stuffy hometown. It was on one such trip at the age of eighteen, that Sevigny was spotted on the street by a fashion editor for Sassy magazine. Impressed by her flair for street fashion, the editors of the progressive teen mag asked Sevigny to intern in their offices which led to a few modeling jobs with both Sassy and x-girl, the urban clothing line created by Sonic Youth front woman Kim Gordon. At this time Sevigny also spent a lot of her time watching the skateboarders who convened in New York's Tompkins square park. It was here that she met young aspiring director Harmony Korine, and a friendship ensued, resulting in her being cast as the lead in Korine and Larry Clark's collaboration Kids (1995). At around the same time Sevigny snagged the cover of Interview magazine, and even inspired writer Jay McInerney to write a piece about her for The New Yorker in which he hailed her the new "it girl." The late nineties saw Sevigny continuing her acting career with a string of independent films, among them Trees Lounge - Una última copa (1996), Seducción letal(1998), and Whit Stillman's homage to early 80s yuppiedom The Last Days of Disco(1998). In 1997 Sevigny and Korine teamed up again to make Gummo (1997), in which Sevigny both starred and acted as chief costume designer. It was in 2000 however that Sevigny's career made a turn towards more mainstream recognition when her portrayal of Lana Tisdel in Boys Don't Cry (1999) garnered her an Oscar nod at the age of twenty-five. Known for signing on to projects based on her interest in a good script rather than a hefty price tag, one of Sevigny's most recent roles, making the climb from indie princess to A list actress, should see her surprising both audiences and Hollywood alike with roles in interesting and thoughtful projects. - IMDb Mini Biography By: hconrad










Trivia 
Born to H. David Sevigny, an accountant turned interior painter of French Canadian heritage, and Janine Malinowski, a Polish American.

Moved into an apartment in Brooklyn at age 18.

Her father died from cancer in 1996.

Was an intern for Sassy magazine in 1993.

Her older brother, Paul Sevigny, is a well-known New York DJ.

Was romantically involved with writer/director Harmony Korine during their late teens and early adult years.

Worked as a model for H & M.

Became a spokesperson for the MAC Cosmetics Viva Glam campaign (February 2004).

During her senior year of high school, she shaved her head.

In both Kids (1995) and 3 agujas (2005), Chloe's main character is involved with the HIV/AIDS epidemic awareness.

Owns a co-op apartment on East 10th St in East Village, Manhattan.

While in high school, she sometimes worked as a babysitter for Topher Grace.

She appeared on the cover of the album of Gigolo Aunts' 1994 recording "Flippin' Out".

The money she made from Kids (1995) was spent on a vacation to Europe.

Turned down a $500,000 supporting role in Una rubia muy legal (2001).

Is a descendant of French aristocrat Marquis de Sévigné.

Auditioned for the role of KW in Donde viven los monstruos (2009).

One of her favorite films is Picnic en Hanging Rock (1975).

Is a fan of musician Morrissey and his former band, The Smiths; she attended a concert of his in fall 2007 dressed as Joan of Arc, who is featured in the lyrics of one of his songs.

Designed several men's, women's, and unisex clothing lines with Manhattan's Opening Ceremony boutique (2008-2009).

Often sewed and made her own clothes while in high school.

Was offered a small part in Yo disparé a Andy Warhol (1996) but turned it down.

Underwent dental surgery in December 2003 after falling in a pair of high-heeled boots and breaking four of her teeth.

On the cover of Gigolo Aunts' Ep "Full in Bloom", 1993.

Swept tennis courts of a country club in her home town while growing up for extra money.

Often took a train into New York City during the weekends to attend rave parties and hang out with Manhattan skateboarders. Sevigny would say to her parents she was staying in Greewich Village with friends, but would actually attend all-night raves and sleep in park-lands when they finished. It was there in New York City that a 19-year-old Sevigny met Harmony Korine and Larry Clark, who later cast her in Kids (1995).

Friendly with tattoo artist Scott Campbell.

Is a fan of Terrence Malick. She has cited Malas tierras (1973) as one of her favorite films.

One of her favorite films is La noche del cazador (1955).

Currently filming Peter and Catherine (2009) in Poland, Germany and Russia. [November 2006]

Some of her favorite actresses are Sissy Spacek, Shelley Duvall and Linda Manz, who she starred alongside in Gummo (1997). Manz gave Sevigny the 'Elvis' jacket she wore in her 1980 film Caído del cielo (1980).

Was a vegetarian for 14 years.










Personal Quotes 
I am most proud of my integrity and least proud of my cynicism.

I've always made films that are sort of avant-garde-y or whatever you call it.

I knew people would not understand it. It's a shame people write so many things when they haven't seen it. When you see the film, it makes more sense. It's an art film. It should be playing in museums. It's like an Andy Warhol movie. [on the oral sex scene in The Brown Bunny (2003)]

You hear about these actresses who avoid going to fashion shows lest they not be taken seriously. I don't like going because it's such a circus. It's always anticlimactic. But I'm not ashamed to admit it: Fashion is superficial, but I love it.

I had a great family life - I would never want it to look as if it reflected on them. I think I was very bored, and I did just love taking hallucinogens. But I often feel it's because I experimented when I was younger that I have no interest as an adult. I know a lot of adults who didn't, and it's much more dangerous when you start experimenting as an adult. [on drug experimentation as a teenager]

I think it's sexy to be a little bit mysterious.

I don't want to be a movie star or be famous; I just want to do a few good movies and maybe move some people.

[on being cast in Kids (1995)] Harmony [Korine] just thought I was this sweet, cute girl and he liked my blonde hair.

I'm ambitious, but I'm not ambitious enough to move to Los Angeles.

I had an agent once who said that in an audition you have to make the women want to be you and the men want to fuck you. I said, I'm sorry, I can't just go into a room and, like, try to achieve that. That's not my motivation in life.

I've never felt like I had very much to say. Maybe that'll come later in life.

I hate going to fashion shows. I find them boring.

As of late [2011], I am more of a homebody. I like having people over. You can smoke in the apartment. I'm just not into going out so much. The crowd is getting younger and younger.

[on her ambitions to act] I mean I'd gone to like summer theatre camp every year growing up and I had always aspired to be an actress. I was actually in some commercials when I was a kid. And then my mother pulled because she thought the world was a little too twisted and she wanted me to be a kid more. And so they hired a professional actress, Mia Kirshner and then two days before shooting they fired her and hired me, so that's someone else's misfortune.
...............................................................................................
 
 


...............................................................................................
birthdays_OFFmag