Jack O'Connell


*Jack O'Connell
(26 years old)

1 August 1990
Derby, England, UK
5' 8" (1,73 m)



Jack O'Connell was born in Alvaston, Derby, England, to Alison J. (Gutteridge) and John Patrick O'Connell. His mother is English, and worked at British Midland, and his father was Irish (from County Kerry), and worked on the railways for Bombardier.

He made his film debut playing Pukey Nicholls in 2006's This Is England (2006), later co-starring in Eden Lake (2008), Harry Brown (2009), Private Peaceful (2012) and The Somnambulists (2011), before receiving critical acclaim for his lead roles as a jailed teenager in Convicto (2013) and a British soldier in Belfast in '71 (2014).

O'Connell made his Hollywood debut as Greek soldier Calisto in the graphic novel-based action-war film 300: El origen de un imperio (2014), and then played Olympic distance runner and World War II POW Louis Zamperini in the Angelina Jolie-directed war drama Invencible (2014). His upcoming roles include The Man Who Killed Don Quixote and Money Monster (2015), the latter with George Clooney and Julia Roberts. - IMDb Mini Biography By: anonymous


Trade Mark*

Derbyshire/slightly Estuary accent


Trivia*
His father was Irish, from Kerry. His mother is of English background.

Is a big fan of Derby County Football Club.

Grew up wanting to be a footballer. Had trials with Derby County as a schoolboy.

His maternal grandfather, Kenneth Harold "Ken" Gutteridge, was a professional footballer and manager.

Was in a relationship with Tulisa Contostavlos from March-June 2012.

Was in a relationship with Kaya Scodelario, while starring in Skins (2007), until 2009.

Trained at the Central Television Workshop in Nottingham, along with Vicky McClure, Joe Dempsie and Michael Socha.

His acting role models are Gary Oldman, Tim Roth and Tom Hardy.

Considered for the role of Gary Unwin in Kingsman: Servicio secreto (2014).


Personal Quotes*
What's important to me is the longevity. I want to create a body of work that is entertaining and speaks to people for a long time. Longer than my life span. They're the real goals for me as an actor, not the fame side of things.

I like the ideology of there being no such thing as perfection. But I'm of the opinion that I have witnessed perfection at various times, especially in art.

[on playing Cook in Skins (2007)] I think out of the characters I've played, me and Cook are the most similar. I don't know whether he changed me; he helped keep me on the straight and narrow for a bit, ironically, because I could focus any troublesome incentives of mine into a very productive line of work. If he changed me, it was for the better... There is a significant amount [of fan mail], and it comes from all over the world; it's so humbling to know that Skins (2007) reached out on a global scale, from something we were just fucking around with in Bristol.

[on his acting influences] Growing up, Gary Oldman has been a big role model of mine. Also Tim Roth, I've always loved his performances. A more recent example would be Tom Hardy. He decides to do what he does for his reasons, but I like the way he's been able to stay as Tom. He's not been warped in any way.