Tom Hiddleston (info)

Tom Hiddleston (info)

Tom Hiddleston
Thomas William Hiddleston was born in Westminster, London, to English-born Diana Patricia (Servaes) and Scottish-born James Norman Hiddleston. His mother is a former stage manager, and his father, a scientist, was the managing director of a pharmaceutical company.

He started off at the preparatory school, The Dragon School in Oxford, and by the time he was 13, he boarded at Eton College, at the same time that his parents were going through a divorce. He continued on to the University of Cambridge, where he earned a double first in Classics. He graduated from the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art in 2005.

Whilst at University of Cambridge, he was seen by the agency 'Hamilton Hodell' in the play 'A Streetcar named Desire' and was signed. Following this, he was cast in his first television role in _"The Life and Adventures of Nicholas Nickleby (2001) (TV)"_. Hiddleston won his first film role as Oakley in Joanna Hogg's award-winning first feature, Unrelated (2007). His breakthrough role came when he portrayed Loki in the 2011 Marvel Studios feature film Thor (2011) and he reprised this role in Marvel Los vengadores(2012). - IMDb Mini Biography By: Kad





Trade Mark
Self-described blond curly "Gene Wilder" hair.

His wide, warm smile

Big expressive blue-green eyes

Deep smooth voice

Extremely polite, articulate and friendly personality





Trivia
Won Best Newcomer in a Play at the Laurence Olivier Awards in 2008.
His sister is Emma Hiddleston.

He played rugby at Cambridge University but gave it up for his love of acting.

He grew up in Oxfordshire, England.

Tom's parents divorced when he was 13.

His favorite film is Heat (1995).

He screen-tested for the role of Thor for the film Thor (2011). He went on a strict diet and gained 20 pounds in muscle. However, Kenneth Branagh decided he was more suitable for the role of Loki.

His maternal great-great-grandfather was importer Sir Edmund Vestey, 1st Baronet.

Won Third Prize at the Ian Charleson Awards in 2007.

Won Best Supporting Actor in a Play at the Whatsonstage.com Theatregoers' Choice Awards in 2009.

Won Rising Star Award at the Richard Attenborough UK Regional Film Critics' Awards in 2012.

Won Best Male Newcomer at the Jameson Empire Awards in 2012.

He has two sisters, Sarah (older) and Emma (younger).

His favorite superhero is Superman.

Very good friends with Chris Hemsworth.

His father is Scottish. His mother is English, and has English, Welsh, and German ancestry. One of Tom's maternal great-great-grandfathers was of German origin.

Was ranked at #2 on Empire's The 100 Sexiest Movie Stars list (2013).

Iceland: Filming Thor: El mundo oscuro (2013) [October 2012]

Graduated with Double First in Classics at Cambridge University.

Hiddleston's mom is a former stage manager. His father is a scientist and was the director of a pharmaceutical company.

His great-great-grandfather was Sir Edmund Vestey, 1st Baronet, an English importer who was created a Baronet for supplying food to British troops during the First World War.

He won "Best Newcomer" at the Laurence Olivier Awards in 2008, an esteemed honor that recognizes the best in London theatre.

In January 2013, he traveled with UNICEF UK to Guinea, West Africa, to visit children, families, and communities. He continues to remain involved with the organization.

Nominated for Best Actor for The Olivier Award 2014, for playing the title role in the Shakespeare play Coriolanus.

Won Best Actor Award at The 2014 Evening Standard Theatre Awards, for his performance of the title role in Shakespeare's Coriolanus at Donmar Warehouse.

Won Best Male Principal Performance Award at 2014 Falstaff Awards for his performance in Shakespeare's Coriolanus at Donmar Warehouse.

Can speak French, Spanish, Italian, Greek and Latin.

Was in the same class as both Prince William and Eddie Redmayne at the boarding school Eton College.

As of 2015, Tom has been in two films that were nominated for the Academy Award for Best Motion Picture of the Year: Midnight in Paris (2011) and War Horse (2011).

Had read "The Politics Of The Family," by RD Lang, in preparation for his role in Crimson Peak.




Personal Quotes
Showing young children in these communities, that there are outlets for their feelings, that there is room in a space for their stories to be told, and that they will be applauded-and it's not about ego, it's about connection: that their pain is everybody else's pain.
Never stop. Never stop fighting. Never stop dreaming. And don't be afraid of wearing your heart on your sleeve - in declaring the films that you love, the films that you want to make, the life that you've had, and the lives you can help reflect in cinema. For myself, for a long time... maybe I felt inauthentic or something, I felt like my voice wasn't worth hearing, and I think everyone's voice is worth hearing. So if you've got something to say, say it from the rooftops.

I am very proud of my work for the BBC, but I never wanted to stay stuck in the past. Loki has set me free from a particular casting type. But the work is the same. Rigor, discipline, humility, punctuality, above all: truthfulness. [CNN.com, 9 May 2012]

[on working on "War Horse" and "Midnight in Paris"] I'm enormously proud of it because I'm a significant part of both those films.

[on being directed by Steven Spielberg and Woody Allen for their Oscar-nominated movies] It was a massive honor to work with Woody and Steven.

I'm so moved and humbled by [the fans] responses to The Hollow Crown and Henry IV. I've never worked harder on anything in my life. It means the world.

[on being a part of a movement of young and interesting British actors] If I'm a part of it, I'm flattered. It's interesting, because I used to look up for inspiration, like every actor does, to people like Daniel Day-Lewis, Robert De Niro, Kenneth Branagh... Now I look sideways. I worked with Benedict Cumberbatch on War Horse (2011), then he went off to do El topo (2011). He was so good. I was so proud to call him my friend - it's one of the most electrifying performances by an actor this year. Tom Hardy - he's doing things that I think no British actor has ever done. His performance in Warrior (2011) was visceral, pure and muscular, and it made me cry. Michael Fassbender has had an annus mirabilis with Un método peligroso (2011) and his studio breakthrough in X-Men: Primera generación(2011), where, hands down, he and James McAvoy were the best things in it.

To have compassion for a character is no different from having compassion for another human being.

I gave myself permission to care, because there are a lot of people in this world who are afraid of caring, or afraid of showing that they care because it's uncool. It's uncool to have passion. It's so much easier to lose when you've shown everyone how much you don't care if you win or lose. It's much harder to lose when you show that you care, but, you'll never win, unless you also stand to lose. Don't be afraid of your passion.

[on coping with the end of a long shoot] You get used to it - you have to - otherwise you'd spend your life being heartbroken. But it never stops being sad because for that short time you become a family. You do, you see the same people every day for sixteen hours a day, for months on end, and you're so bound together by your common purpose, which is to make a great film.

I get asked to play a lot of complex people, which is great because I think that people are complex, much more so than any of us are really willing to let on. There is an enormous pressure to conform to what's conventional now, and I think people are quite afraid of individuality, actually.

[on shooting 'Thor: the Dark World' in Iceland] Iceland is one of the few places on earth that looks like another world because the landscape is so extraordinary. The dimensions are bigger, the proportions are bigger, a big hill is absolutely enormous, and the color of the water has a translucency that I've never seen before. The sky seems twice the size, and some of it looks like a moonscape to me...You still walk down the street in Reykjavik and run into five people who are called Thor. To be on the land that invented this mythology was extraordinary.

[on portraying Loki, the legendary Nordic god of mischief] The key thing about any character I play is I have to start from a place of compassion. My stepping into the silhouette comes from attempting to understand his point-of-view. So even though he is and has been regarded as villain, antagonist, antihero, in my mind - as I play him - I have to fight in his corner. Having said that, from an objective intellectual standpoint, Loki is a deeply mixed-up cat.

[observation, 2014] All the greatest actors allow themselves to grow. I don't know which way the wind will blow for me, but I know that I'm along for the ride.

[PopcornTaxi, 10/8/2013] I suppose if I have one fear in my life, it's a fear of wasting time. And um, I don't want to look back at my life and think "God, I wish I had done all of this stuff.. that I always wanted to do-- but I didn't do it because I was afraid, or because someone was gonna take a pot shot at me, or because I might fail." Or, um--that's, to me, that is the greatest tragedy: is to look back and say "I wish I had, and I didn't." Em, and I think, at a certain time, I just refused to let that be a factor in anything.



birthdays_OFFmag