Natalie Imbruglia (info)

Natalie Imbruglia (info)



Natalie Imbruglia
Natalie Jane Imbruglia was born on Tuesday, February 4, 1975, in Sydney, Australia, to Maxene (Anderson) and Elliot Imbruglia. Her father is Sicilain (from Lipari) and her mother has English, Scottish, Welsh, and Irish ancestry. She grew up in a small beach town on the New South Wales coast called Berkeley Vale.

At the age of two, she began dancing, and then moved into a special academy to dance six days a week. She got her first job as a TV extra on Japanese bubble gun commercial as a 'Pinnacle Princess'. She didn't have much to do in Berkleyvale and was a 'surfer girl'. 

At the age of 17 she was offered a two week trial to play Beth Brennan in the Aussie soap opera Vecinos (1985). She and her character became so popular that Natalie stayed on the show for two more years. After she quit the show she went to the nearest hairdresser and cut her once long hair into the shorter style that we see today. She then moved to London and the party and night-club scene. During this time Natalie decided to pursue a singing career and wrote many songs. Then she secured a recording contact and released her first album, 'Left of the Middle'. Since then she has had a lot of media exposure with her album released across the world. Her TV appearances have included Saturday Night Live (1975), The David Letterman Show (1980), etc. - IMDb Mini Biography By: Ai




Spouse
Daniel Johns (31 December 2003 - 2008) (divorced) 




Trivia
Is a vegetarian

Signed a six-figure contract with L'oréal. (2002)

Husband Daniel Johns is lead singer for the Australian rock band Silverchair.

Announced engagement to Silverchair frontman Daniel Johns. [January 2003]

Won 1998's MTV Video Music Award for Best New Artist

Won 1999's Billboard Music Award for Best New Aritst

Debut album, Left of the Middle, peaked at #10 on the Billboard Hot 200 Albums chart.

Debut single, Torn, peaked at #1 on Adult Top 40 chart.

Debut single, Torn, peaked at #42 on Billboard Hot 100 chart.

Second single, Wishing I Was There, peaked at #13 on Adult Top 40 chart.

Sophomore album, White Lilies Island, peaked at #35 on the Billboard Hot 200 Albums chart.

Single, Wrong Impression, peaked at #7 on Adult Top 40 chart.

Single, Wrong Impression, peaked at #64 on Billboard Hot 100 chart.

Debut single, Torn, peaked at #2 on UK Top 75 Singles chart.

Debut album, Left of the Middle, peaked at #5 on UK Top 75 Albums chart.

Single, Big Mistake, peaked at #2 on UK Top 75 Singles chart.

Single, Wishing I Was There, peaked at #19 on UK Top 75 singles chart.

Single, Smoke, peaked at #5 on UK Top 75 singles chart.

Single, That Day, peaked at #11 on UK Top 75 singles chart.

Sophomore album, White Lilies Island, peaked at #15 on UK Top 75 albums chart.

Single, Wrong Impression, peaked at #10 on UK Top 75 singles chart.

Single, Beauty on the Fire, peaked at #26 on UK Top 75 singles chart.

Her father, Elliot Imbruglia, is of Italian descent. Her mother, Maxene (Anderson), is Australian, and has English, Scottish, Welsh, and Irish ancestry.

Is a big fan of Brian Wilson and The Beach Boys.

Good friends with Australian diva Dannii Minogue.

Ranked #90 on VH1's 100 Sexiest Artists.

Recording her 5th studio album (release date to be advised) [July 2008]

In Australia. She and Daniel Johns announce their engagement. [January 2003]

The couple announced a joint statement saying their marriage is over and they simply grew apart from not being able to spend enough time together. Natalie is based in London and Daniel in Australia. [January 2008]

She is a dual Australian/British citizen.





Personal Quotes
It was only cool to have blonde hair and be a surfer chick [in Sydney]. I could learn how to surf, but I still looked Italian. It took me a long time to realise that was a good thing.

Saving animals is as simple as choosing synthetic alternatives instead of real fur.

I like the idea of growing old gracefully and full of wrinkles... like Audrey Hepburn.

I like singer-songwriters, and I find sad songs comforting rather than depressing. It makes you realise you're not alone in the world.

I am such a bad liar. I would like to lie, though.

I can understand why some people might look at me and say, 'What's she got to be depressed about?' I get that a lot in Britain, where mental health issues seem to be a big taboo.

Enjoy every moment: you never know when things might change.

Divorce was very sad, obviously, but now I've gotten over it.

There is no kind way to rip the skin off animals' backs. Anyone who wears any fur shares the blame for the torture and gruesome deaths of millions of animals each year.

I've done a lot of partying in my time because I didn't want to go home and I didn't know what to do.

It's much easier to write when you're sad. But you can end up isolated and depressed because you almost need to put yourself in that situation to have that angst to write from.

I seem to have very polite fans, not fanatical ones.

I know my music probably isn't going to matter to the public after I die, but that doesn't mean I don't have something to offer.

I have never planned to have babies by a certain age.

I exercise three to four times a week, doing the Tracy Anderson Method, which involves toning and strengthening our small muscle groups.

Happy songs are very difficult to write. How many truly great upbeat songs are there?

I worry unnecessarily.

I wasn't born with a natural talent for songwriting.

I was brought up in an environment where my parents expressed their financial concerns in front of their children.

I think where men are credited for being strong, women are divas. I just think it's such a cop out.

I started dancing when I was three, Scottish dancing.

Isolation is a big part of songwriting.

If I start feeling down I'll gorge myself on pasta. That usually does the trick. It's the Italian blood in me.

I'm such a chameleon. I never get bored.

I'm not a nightclub person, but you need to have a social life sometimes.

I'm a perfectionist.

The success of Torn was a bit too much for me. I took a year off and was still scared to start the second album.

My mum said I told her I wanted to be a hairdresser during the week and a star on the weekend and that was when I was really young.

My kitchen bench is covered with vitamins and protein powders. I go through phases when I'm sure I'm taking too many - but I don't get sick often.

It's not very often that I like new bands.

It's good to have to put yourself in someone else's skin. It's all-consuming.

You're either too fat or too thin. You just can't win.

You feel this pressure that people will take you more seriously if you play guitar, but I've decided I'm a singer and that's enough.

When I'm passionate about something, I just get excited.

When I'm in London, I love to visit Kensington gardens and just sit in the park and read a good book.

There are artists who think they have to be on top all the time. I think that would be exhausting.

I'm a fan of homeopathy, acupuncture and spiritual healing. In Australia, this is not weird, but when I arrived in the U.K., everyone thought I was a freak.

I would have been happy to have waited till I was in my mid- to late-30s before I got married, but you don't choose when these things happen, and when they do, there's no doubt in your mind.

I wasn't naturally drawn to fashion when I was younger but with my work I'm so exposed to what's out there that I'm hoping my style has become a little more sophisticated.

Generally I can sleep any time, anywhere, any place, unless I'm anxious about work. I can get performance anxiety, so when I'm on tour it can be hard to sleep.

You're only as good as your last record and you could get dropped.

Since childhood I've always had a tendency to lean towards melancholy. My sisters suffer from it too, so maybe it's a genetic thing. But none of us has ever been on medication.

I've always been drawn to the four-leaf clover. It's deeply significant to my sister and me, so much so that we both have had it tattooed on the inside of our wrists.

I'm quite confident with the way that I look but you find something else to focus on don't you if, I mean I, I have body issues that's my thing so you find something to focus on when you're a perfectionist, I think.

I'm still an Aussie girl but Britain is part of who I am. Britain has been good to me - I have roots and history here and a lot of really close friends. I feel very British - I love afternoon tea and crumpets, and running in Hyde Park. I've had many a pint in many a pub all over the country.

birthdays_OFFmag