Adele (see more)

. Adele


“As soon as I got a microphone in my hand, when I was about 14, I realised I wanted to do this,” she says. “Most people don’t like the way their voice sounds when it’s recorded. I was just so excited by the whole thing that I wasn’t bothered what it sounded like.” A fan of such diverse artists as Jill Scott, Etta James, Billy Bragg, Peggy Lee, Jeff Buckley and The Cure, Adele’s soul-tinged songs of love’s lost and memories made are set to resonate with all who hear them. 



“I’ve got no problem explaining what my lyrics are about,” ADELE says. “I really like poetry: I’m not very good at reading it, but I love writing it.

Singers like Jill Scott and Karen Dalton are amazing; proper poets.”

“My debut album is about being between 18 and 19; about love,” she continues. “‘Daydreamer’ is about this boy I was in love with, like proper in love with. He was bi and I couldn’t deal with that. All the things I wanted from my boyfriend, he was never going to be. I get really jealous anyway, so I couldn’t fight with girls and boys. It’s quite a sad album, [with songs about] being cheated on and not getting what you want”.
Anchoring it all together is ADELE’s incredible voice. As immediate as it is undeniable, its power is matched only by her Force 10 personality. “I’ve always liked being the centre of attention, yes,” she laughs.


ADELE is from a resolutely un-musical family. “It all comes from impersonating The Spice Girls and Gabrielle,” she cheerfully explains. “I did little concerts in my room for my mum and her friends. My mum’s quite arty; she’d get all these lamps and shine them up to make one big spotlight. They’d all sit on the bed.” Later, when her dad’s best friend, a dance producer, rightly declared ADELE’s voice ‘wicked’, he invited her to record a cover of ‘Heart Of Glass’. The first time she got a microphone in her hand, she realised her calling.

Secondary school proved instructive in as much as it gave ADELE an outlet to “meet all the R&B kids” and “sit around the playground singing.” But it was a pretty rough place and pursuing music there was something of a challenge, on account of the fact that ADELE wanted to sing and perform her songs but “the teacher was a bit rubbish. They gave me a really hard time, trying to bribe me, saying that if I wanted to sing I had to play clarinet to sing in the choir. So I left.”

So ADELE upped sticks, signing up to The Brit School, the Selhurst college whose alumni number Amy Winehouse, members of The Feeling and Kate Nash. However she had her misgivings…
“If I hear someone’s from stage school I’d think they were a dickhead, and I know it might make me sound like that. But it had free rehearsal rooms and free equipment and I was listing to music all day, every day for years. The music course was really wicked. There was no dancing or anything like that. No jazz hands.”

During her second year, ADELE’s resolve to be a singer was given a little extra boost – Shingai Shoniwa, the turbo-lunged vocalist with The Noisettes moved in next door. “She’s an amazing singer. I used to hear her through the walls. I’d go round and we’d jam and stuff like that. Just hearing her and her music really made me want to be a writer and not just sing Destiny’s Child songs. ”
Despite being quick off the mark on MySpace – her friend set up a page for ADELE’s music on the last day of 2004 – it wasn’t until 2006 that labels started noticing her talent. “I’d hate people to think that I was a ‘MySpace singer’,” she says. “I’ve got no right to be that. I’ve got, like, 10,000 ‘friends’, whereas Jack Peñate’s got about one million…”
When XL called her in for a meeting, ADELE was nervous enough to take a chum with her.

“I never, ever thought I’d get signed. The A&R guy emailed me and I was ignoring it… I didn’t realise they [XL] did all these amazing names…”
Despite interest from plenty of other labels, the independent regarded for its one-off, defining acts (for rock band, see The White Stripes; for rapper, see Dizzee Rascal) proved the perfect match for her one-off talent, and XL will put out ADELE’s stunning debut album “19” early next year. A single, the beautiful heartbreaker, ‘Chasing Pavements’ will precede it.

Before that comes ADELE’s debut release on Jamie T’s Pacemaker Recordings label, ‘Hometown Glory’ – a stunningly evocative picture of “all my fondest memories of London”. ‘Daydreamer’, a remarkable ballad notable for lyrics like ‘feeling up his girl like he’d never felt her figure before’ and ‘he could change the world with his hands behind his back’ has already floored the audience on the prestigious ‘Later With Jools Holland’.
“I don’t know what’s going to happen if my music career goes wrong,” she laughs. “I haven’t had a proper job yet.”
Consider that one unlikely turn of events.

Trade Mark 

Soulful voice
The ubiquitous wigs
Unfiltered profanities during her performances

Trivia 

First winner of the Brit Awards Critics' Choice (2008).
Resides with her mother in South London.
Is influenced by the music of Etta James and Ella Fitzgerald.
Graduated from BRIT School (2006).
English soul and jazz singer.
Underwent throat surgery for a hemorrhaged vocal cord on November 7, 2011.

Named as the "Artist of the Year" for 2011 by Billboard.
Made Billboard history by becoming the first female singer to top the artist, album and singles list in the same year (2011).
In the 2011 Billboard poll, Adele was voted for the Favourite Hot 100 No. 1 song (Rolling in the Deep) and Favourite Billboard 200 No. 1 for her album "21".
Is good friends with Gente de barrio (1985) actor Sid Owen.

Voted #92 on Ask men's Top 99 'most desirable' woman of 2012 list.
Won 6 awards at the 2012 Grammy Awards, including: Record of the Year for her album "21", Album of the Year for "21", Song of the Year for "Rolling in the Deep", Best Solo Performance for "Someone Like You", Best Pop Vocal Album for "21", and Best Short Form Music Video for "Rolling in the Deep".
Has a miniature dachshund.
Suffers from a fear of flying and sailing.

Ranked #20 of the "60 Richest Young People" in the UK's The Sunday Times Rich List (2012) with earnings of £20m/$30.
Owns a selection of wigs for which she has pet names such as, "June" (after June Carter Cash), "Jackie" (after Jackie Collins), etc.
Prior to hitting the big time as a singer, Adele once lived in a 1BR flat directly above the bookstore run by Hugh Grant in the movie Notting Hill (1999).
Even after making a victorious splash at the 51st Grammy Awards (8 Feb. 2009), the singer surprised everybody when she took a job at the London-based "Rough Trade" record store as a personal exercise in learning about the basics of the music industry and getting an insider's view of the up-and-coming talent.

Adele's victorious performance at the 54th Grammy Awards (12 February 2012) was the first time she'd sung in public since her throat surgery in Boston (Nov. 2011) where renowned throat surgeon Dr. Steven Zeitels performed the successful operation.
She and Beyoncé Knowles are avid mutual fans.
First British female artist to reach the 10 million records sales mark in the U.S. with her album "21". The album is also the first to top the list two years in a row (2011 & 2012) since Michael Jackson's "Thriller" in 1983 and 1984. [November 2012]

Won her first 2 Grammies at the 2009 ceremony, for Best New Artist and Best Female Pop Vocal Performance for the single "Chasing Pavements" from her freshman album, 19.
Has been in a relationship with Simon Konecki since 2011 and they have one son together.
Gave birth to her 1st child at age 24, a son Angelo James Konecki on October 19, 2012. Child's father is her boyfriend, Simon Konecki.

Has a younger paternal half-brother, Cameron Evans.
Her father, Mark Evans, walked out on Adele and her mother when she was 3-years-old. She saw him every weekend until 1999, not seeing him again until 2003. They became estranged again in 2011 after Evans sold a story about his daughter to the press.
Was 8 months pregnant with her son Angelo when she recorded the titular theme song of the film, Skyfall (2012).
Returned to work 4 months after giving birth to her son Angelo in order to perform at The Oscars (2013).

One of Time Magazine's 100 Most Influential People in the World (2012).
She was awarded the MBE (Member of the Order of the British Empire) in the 2013 Queen's Birthday Honours List for her services to Music. She is a singer and songwriter.
London, England: singer [June 2013]

Personal Quotes 

I'm learning about tax at the moment with my accountant - pffffff! I use the NHS, I can't use public transport any more, doing what I do, I went to state school, I'm mortified to have to pay 50 per cent! Trains are always late, most state schools are shit and I've gotta give you like four million quid, are you 'avin a laugh? When I got my tax bill in from 19 I was ready to go 'n' buy a gun and randomly open fire.
[on singing her songs of heartbreak] Imagine if you weren't in an office job or whatever, and you were performing your feelings as I do. It's kind of like not getting over something isn't it, because every night you have to talk about it.

I love food and hate exercise. I don't have time to work out. I don't want to be on the cover of Playboy or Vogue. I want to be on the cover of Rolling Stone or Q. I'm not a trend-setter. I'm a singer. I'd rather weigh a ton and make an amazing album than look like Nicole Richie and do a shit album. My aim in life is never to be skinny.
When it comes to staying myself - my career isn't my life, it doesn't come home with me. So it's a piece of piss staying grounded and not being changed by it. The same things I've always liked still satisfy me. My team's the same and my group of friends are the same.
Of course I'm bowled over by people's response to "21," and when I meet artists I love, it blows my mind. But it baffles me as well. I go home and my best friend laughs at me, rather than going to a celebrity-studded party to rub shoulders with people who know me but who I don't know. I'm Z-list when it comes to that shit.
I've never been more normal than I am now.
I don't make music for eyes. I make music for ears.

Even if I did have, you know, a 'Sports Illustrated' body, I'd still wear elegant clothes.
Crying is really bad for your vocal cords.
Heartbreak can definitely give you a deeper sensibility for writing songs. I drew on a lot of heartbreak when I was writing my first album, I didn't mean to but I just did.

                                      Official website