David Duchovny

David Duchovny

*David Duchovny
(56 years old)

7 August 1960
New York City, New York, USA
6' 0½" (1.84 m)



 David William Duchovny was born on August 7, 1960, in New York City, New York, USA. His father, Amram Duchovny, was a writer and publicist who was from a family of Jewish immigrants (from Ukraine and Poland), and worked for the American Jewish Committee. His mother, Margaret (Miller), was a Scottish-born school teacher. David has a sister, Laurie, and an older brother, Daniel Ducovny, an award-winning director of commercials, as well as a director of photography.

David earned an undergraduate degree from Princeton University, and also attended Yale University, where he undertook a Master's Degree in English Literature. A keen poet and writer, David's work was well recognized by his peers and teachers while he was in attendance at Yale. He was even nominated for a college prize by the Academy of American Poets for his outstanding work within the literary field. While at Yale, he began commuting to New York to study acting and was soon appearing in off-Broadway plays. In 1987, he abandoned his doctoral studies at Yale to pursue acting full time.

In 1991, David got offered the role of DEA Dennis Bryson on the acclaimed TV series, Twin Peaks (1990). He only appeared in three episodes, but at that early stage, it was his biggest claim to fame yet, as Twin Peaks (1990) was watched by millions of people worldwide. Needless to say, David's talents as an actor would finally be recognized and he would get the acknowledgment that he so richly deserved.

In the early 1990s, he got more bit parts in films, this time, however, the films weren't "low key", but hits, such as No le digas a mamá que la canguro ha muerto (1991) and the family favorite comedy, Beethoven - Uno más de la familia (1992). David's role in Beethoven - Uno más de la familia (1992) was small, but it was hard to forget the poor guy who was dragged across the lawn by the giant St. Bernard!

A year later, in 1993, David got the lead role in the independent film Kalifornia (1993). The film also starred another up-and-coming young actor, Brad Pitt. In Kalifornia (1993), David played a journalist who goes on a cross-country tour of famous murder sites with his girlfriend as research for a book he is writing about serial killers. He takes Pitt's character along to help pay the bills, unaware that Pitt's character is in fact a serial killer himself. Although it did not do much business at the box office, it is still a great film and has become somewhat of a cult favorite among fans.

That same year, David was offered the role of FBI Agent Fox "Spooky" Mulder on the long-running TV series Expediente X (1993). The show was a tremendous international success and propelled David (and his co-star Gillian Anderson) into super-stardom. His character of Mulder has become somewhat of a pop culture legend and is renowned the world over for his satirical wit and dry sense of humor. Fans loved the fact that he could keep a straight face and still crack and joke in the face of extreme danger. David improvised a lot of his own lines of dialogue while on the show and even penned and directed a few episodes. The series ended in 2002 and still has a strong, dedicated following. To date, David has reprised his role of Fox Mulder in two "X Files" feature films: Expediente X(1998) and X-Files - Creer es la clave (2008).

During the initial run of Expediente X (1993), David kept busy and made several films, such as: Hechizo del corazón (2000), alongside actress Minnie Driver and the comedy favorite Evolution (2001), with Julianne Moore, Seann William Scott and Orlando Jones. He even had a hysterical cameo as a self-obsessed, simple-minded hand model in the comedy-smash Zoolander (Un descerebrado de moda) (2001).

In 2007, after a few years out of the limelight, David struck gold again after landing the plum role of Hank Moody in Californication (2007). The raunchy series follows the life of womanizing writer Hank Moody (Duchovny) as he tries to juggle his career and his relationship with his daughter and his ex-girlfriend. The show has become a hit for its off-the-wall humor and Duchovny's ability to always turn in a brilliant performance.

It may have taken a while, but David has worked his way to the top and notched up an impressive resume along the way. We can expect to see a lot more of him in the future. - IMDb Mini Biography By: cryofry


Spouse*

Téa Leoni (6 May 1997 - 14 June 2014) (divorced) (2 children) 



Trade Mark*


Deadpan humor

Puppy dog eyes

Cleft in chin

Frequently plays conspiracy theorists (The X-Files, Evolution, Zoolander, etc.)

Mellow voice

Brown hair


Trivia*
Filed a $25 million lawsuit against the producers and syndicators of Expediente X (1993) alleging he's been cheated of his contractual share of profits from series.

Daughter Madelaine West Duchovny born April 24th, 1999, 2nd child son Kyd Miller Duchovny born June 15th, 2002.

Chosen by People (USA) magazine as one of the 50 most beautiful people in the world.

Played scholarship-level basketball during some of his high school and college career. He had an accident while playing basketball in high school which damaged his right eye.

David's paternal grandfather, Moshe Duchovny, was a Jewish immigrant from Berdychiv (now in Ukraine, and part of the Russian Empire when he immigrated), while David's paternal grandmother was a Polish Jewish immigrant. David's father, Amram, was a Brooklyn-born publicist for the American Jewish Commitee; he died on 23 August 2003 from heart disease. David's mother, Margaret (Miller), is a Lutheran immigrant from Scotland. David has a brother, Daniel Ducovny, a sister, Laurie, and a stepbrother, Jonathan Sahula. Duchovny means 'spiritual' in Russian.

He is known to be a sports fan, and has appeared on MTV's "Rock n' Jock Softball Game".

Is a former vegetarian but does not consume red meat.

While at Yale, he was classmates with Jennifer Beals, whom Duchovny suggested for a part on Expediente X (1993) (it eventually went to Gillian Anderson).

Was partially responsible for moving the filming of Expediente X (1993) series from Vancouver to California.

Has an allergic reaction to metal which prevents him from wearing his wedding ring at times.

Was the subject of the song "David Duchovny" by Bree Sharp.

He kept three dogs and four cats as a child.

He does a very good impersonation of Jeff Goldblum, as demonstrated during his appearance on Saturday Night Live (1975).

Was ABD ("All But Dissertation") when he left Yale, so he never actually received his graduate degree. The title of his uncompleted doctoral thesis was "Magic and Technology in Contemporary Poetry and Prose."

Friends with actor Ron Eldard.

His mother taught at Grace Church School in N.Y.C. and had a portion of the building named after her when she retired.

Speaks French, Hebrew and Latin.

Stayed in 411 Witherspoon Hall his freshman year at Princeton.

Made his film debut in Armas de mujer (1988), as one of the guests hiding in the bathroom at Tess's surprise birthday party.

Uncle of twin boys Gabriel and Luca (b. May 2004), sons of his sister Laurie and brother-in-law Michael Birnbaum.

Very good friends with Nicholas Lea, who played his nemesis Alex Krycek on Expediente X(1993).

Appeared on the Celebrity edition of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire in 2000. He was the first celebrity in the hot seat. He answered 13 questions correctly giving him $250,000 for his charity. However, he then answered his $500,000 incorrectly resulting in a $218,000 loss and he left with $32,000.

Checked himself into a rehabilitation center seeking treatment for sex addiction. Completed rehab on October 7, 2008. On October 15th just 8 Days after completing Rehab, David announced that he and his wife Téa Leoni had been separated for several months. In 2009, the couple was seen together again. In interviews in the following months Duchovny revealed that they had reconciled. [August 2008]

Loves dogs. Hated making the scene where agent Mulder was being mauled by a dog and forced to attack the dog for X-Files - Creer es la clave (2008).

Is a New York Yankees Fan.

Former boyfriend of Maggie Wheeler.

Was best man at Mitch Pileggi's second wedding.

Birthday is two days before Expediente X (1993) co-star Gillian Anderson). He is eight years her senior.

Celebrated his 10th birthday on Erraid, a small island off the west coast of Scotland.

Was the first actor to win a Golden Globe for both TV Drama and TV Comedy and is still one of only two actors to accomplish the feat (Kelsey Grammer joined him in 2012).

Is the only cast member of Expediente X (1993) to host Saturday Night Live (1975).

Lives in New York City, New York.

First celebrity guest to appear on the TV premiere of The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson (2005) (3 January 2005).

Is a big fan of _"Doctor Who" (2005)_ and has expressed interest in appearing on it as a villain.

He has played the same character (Fox Mulder) on four different series: Expediente X(1993), Eek! the Cat (1992), Los Simpson (1989) and Los tiradores solitarios (2001).

His name means "spiritual" in Slovak and Czech languages.

He is a childhood friend of Jason Beghe. When he married Téa Leoni, Beghe was his best man.


Personal Quotes*
I never, ever, ever cook. And I would never eat anything I might cook.

I'm half Jewish, half Scottish. It's hard for me to buy anything.

Privacy is something I have come to respect. I think when I was younger I wanted to tell everybody everything, because I thought I was so damn interesting. Then I heard the snoring.

I've always been overly concerned about what people think which has resulted in a lot of inner turmoil. I try not to give a damn but inside I'm a huge ball of worry.

If you're smart, you'll always be humble. You can learn all you want, but there'll always be somebody who's never read a book who'll know twice what you know.

I'm frightened by the possibilities of my own lack of talent.

I think I'm nice enough to look at, but I think people make a big deal about my appearance. I think it was like hypnosis, like all of the sudden everybody's been trained: 'OK, now cluck like a chicken!' 'OK, now say David Duchovny's handsome!' I mean, I was a normal-looking kid, and whoever you are and whatever you look like, there are always things you want to change. I just remember that I wished I was blond. And I wished that my nose were smaller and my lips were smaller and my eyes were bigger... you know, everything.

[on his role as "Agent Fox Mulder" on Expediente X (1993)] "It's pretty workaday, people don't seem to realize: You get up, you take a shower, you read the paper, you play Mulder" (from June 1998 "Entertainment Weekly" interview).

[About Expediente X (1993)] "I get tired of people asking if I believe in what's presented on the show. They don't ask the guys on Urgencias (1994) if they believe in euthanasia" (from Oct. 1997 "Chicago Tribune" interview).

Fame does lead to money, which I don't have a close relationship with. I'm the kind of guy who never sees the money -- it all goes somewhere else. I don't understand it, I don't like to deal with it. I have a fear of not having it, because I grew up without it.

Any scene where I can use a pipette, I'm happy - on one of his scenes from Evolution(2001).

About his on screen chemistry with Gillian Anderson: It is nice and natural with Gillian, It was nice to work with her again. I don't know why we have such good chemistry, it is really mystical. We have always worked really well together. It is always easy to work with her.

People say the world changes all the time, and yet human nature remains the same. I think what's changed is the size of our cell phones.

On how his relationship with Gillian Anderson is now: It is very good, yes it is. We have a very good relationship. Different than when it was when we were shooting Expediente X(1993), we are both not exhausted all the time.

(2009, on landing Expediente X (1993)) Well, there's a case in point. Way back in the audition process for that, I had a discussion with Chris Carter, because he wanted me to do well in front of the network. Just like you see in The TV Set, there's this kind of weird, barbaric ritual of reading people in a room in front of the network, suits and all. I think this might have been the third or fourth time I would have read in front of a network, not just for Expediente X (1993), but for other pilots that had come and gone without me. And Chris said, to help me out, "This guy's irreverent". I always remember there was a stage direction-and this'll really date the pilot-where Mulder was described as more MTV VJ than FBI agent. And to me, that was the key, that this guy didn't give a shit about what people thought of him. And that's, always a fun thing to play. When you don't care, you don't care. Because we all care what other people think, and we gravitate toward those characters in movies or TV who don't care. They have a strange kind of power and allure. And that was the key to Mulder for me, his sense of humor, and that he would bring that to FBI proceedings, or he'd bring it to Scully. You know, he was always willing to joke. And the key to that, in turn, was the desperate sincerity of his quest. So if you combine those two things, the emotional hurt over the loss of his sister, and his feeling responsible for that, combined with this "fuck you" attitude, was the character. Those were the two halves of the ring for that character. And that lasted throughout the whole thing.

(2009) Full Frontal (2002) was a very short experience in my life. I believe I might have had two or three days filming on it. I think 'Steven Soderbergh' shot it in two weeks, but that might be overstating it. Steven was somebody I had known for a long time. One of the first auditions I ever had was for Sexo, mentiras y cintas de vídeo (1989). And I don't even know how I got into that audition, because I would have just started acting, but I read for Steven, and Steven wrote a very nice letter to Henry Jaglom-who's the guy I did my first film with, New Year's Day-saying that he had really enjoyed my audition, and blah blah blah. I always treasured that, especially once I saw Steven's work. And Steven had always said, "We'll do a movie together", and finally this project comes along, and he says, "It's about you! It's about your character!" I said, "Great, I can't wait to do it". And then I got the script and I just had like two scenes. It is about my character turning 40 or something, but I'm hardly in it, so I was like, "Thanks a lot, buddy".

(2009, on Californication (2007)) I remember getting the script and thinking it was very funny in a way that hearkens back to more adult films of the '70s, like Shampoo (1975) or El último deber (1973), where you have an actual functioning adult navigating adult problems. When I looked around at the kind of stuff that was available to me, or even not available to me, the comedies were often that man-child thing, with boys in men's bodies navigating almost adolescent issues. So this was the kind of stuff I'd been wanting to do, and not necessarily the kind of movies being made at the time. It happened on television for me rather than in the movies, but it was the kind of material I wanted to do.